Top stories 

Paul Gascoigne pleads not guilty to sex assault on Durham train

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Paul ‘Gazza’ Gascoigne appeared before magistrates in Peterlee Football legend Paul Gascoigne has denied sexually assaulting a woman on a train from York to Durham. The former England midfielder was arrested at Durham station in August. Appearing at Peterlee Magistrates’ Court, Mr Gascoigne pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault by touching. Mr Gascoigne, 51, who played for Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Rangers, will next appear at Teesside Crown Court on 8 January. The retired midfielder shot to international fame…

Read More
Top stories 

Lawrence murder suspect pleads guilty to cannabis charge

Image copyright Julia Quenzler A suspect in the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence in 1993 has pleaded guilty to conspiring to supply “huge quantities” of cannabis resin. Jamie Acourt, 42, had previously denied the change but changed his plea on the second day of his trial at Kingston Crown Court. Acourt, originally from Eltham, south-east London, was extradited from Spain where he was living until his arrest in May. He is due to be sentenced on Friday. Mr Acourt was never convicted of the attack on Stephen Lawrence in 1993…

Read More
Sports 

Ex-NFL standout Smith pleads no contest in domestic violence case

Former San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith entered no-contest pleas to two misdemeanor domestic violence charges on Monday, according to a report. FILE PHOTO – Sep 13, 2015; Oakland, CA, USA; Oakland Raiders defensive end Aldon Smith (99) embraces Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) after the game at O.co Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports Bay City News said he had been charged with false imprisonment and violating a court order, both misdemeanors. In exchange for his plea, Smith, 29, received a sentence of 90…

Read More
Technology 

Call of Duty ‘swatting’ death prankster pleads guilty

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption There have been a spate of incidents involving gamers that have led to prank calls to the police A California-based gamer faces up to 20 years in jail after admitting crimes including making a hoax call to US police that resulted in them shooting an innocent man dead. Tyler Barriss made the call after becoming involved in a dispute with other video gamers engaged in an online Call of Duty match. The 25-year-old had meant to direct the police to another player’s home. But…

Read More
Technology 

US man pleads guilty to game hacking charges

Image copyright EA Image caption Battlefield 3 was one game made unplayable by the attacks A US man accused of knocking game servers offline in a series of attacks has pleaded guilty to charges of computer hacking. Sony, EA Origin and Steam were all hit by Utah resident Austin Thompson’s attacks in 2013 and 2014. Mr Thompson also admitted to causing damage costing $95,000 (£73,000) as part of his plea agreement. The maximum sentence for the crimes is 10 years in jail and fines of up to $250,000. In the…

Read More
Top stories 

Asia Bibi blasphemy case: Husband pleads for asylum

Image copyright EPA Image caption Many called for the death penalty to be reinstated following Asia Bibi’s acquittal The husband of a Pakistani Christian woman acquitted of blasphemy after eight years on death row has pleaded for asylum from the UK, US or Canada. Asia Bibi’s husband, Ashiq Masih, said they were in great danger in Pakistan. The Supreme Court overturned Asia Bibi’s conviction on Wednesday, saying the case against her was based on flimsy evidence. Her acquittal sparked violent protests, and the government has now agreed to try to…

Read More
Top stories 

Pittsburgh shooting: Robert Bowers pleads not guilty

Image copyright EPA Image caption Flowers placed at memorials outside of the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh Robert Bowers, the alleged gunman accused of killing 11 Jewish worshippers at a Pittsburgh synagogue on Saturday has pleaded not guilty. Mr Bowers, 46, has requested a jury trial, US media reported on Thursday. He faces 44 counts of murder, hate crimes, obstructing religious practices and other crimes. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. Authorities called the attack on the Tree of Life synagogue the worst anti-Semitic incident in US history. Media…

Read More
Top stories 

Suge Knight trial: Rap mogul pleads no contest over hit-and-run death

Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionFootage shows former rap label boss Marion “Suge” Knight running over two men with his pick-up truck – the man in this clip survived Former US rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight has pleaded no contest to a voluntary manslaughter charge over a hit-and-run incident in 2015. The Death Row Records founder made the plea to avoid charges of murdering one man and attempting to murder a second with his pick-up truck in Los Angeles. He will be formally sentenced to 28 years…

Read More
Technology 

Honeypot pornography lawyer pleads guilty

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Piracy sites provided data that helped uncover the Prenda Law scheme A US lawyer could be jailed for up to 10 years for helping to upload porn films to file-sharing sites and then sue people who downloaded them. Paul Hansmeier has pleaded guilty to charges of wire fraud and money laundering for his part in the Prenda Law piracy scheme. Prenda is believed to have made about $3m (£2.3m) from the scheme. His guilty plea is part of an agreement that will ensure he…

Read More
Top stories 

Conor McGregor pleads guilty to disorderly conduct to avoid jail

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Conor McGregor has not fought in the UFC since knocking out Eddie Alvarez in November 2016 UFC fighter Conor McGregor has pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in a deal with prosecutors to avoid jail time. McGregor had faced multiple criminal charges stemming from an altercation in April with other fighters. As part of his deal he is required to undergo anger management treatment. The plea will not affect his US work visa. In a statement outside the New York City courthouse, the 29-year-old thanked…

Read More